Start a new topic
Implemented

Keep onkho and my mailbox in sync

[raised by Nick Kay, Pavillion Accountancy] 

Currently Onkho never deletes any email from the underlying mailbox. 

It would be better to be able to keep the mailbox and Onkho in sync with some options e.g.

• When I archive an email in Onkho it should automatically be deleted from my mailbox or maybe moved to a specific folder
  • When I delete an email in Onkho it should automatically be deleted from my mailbox

Once Onkho has saved an email to a contact and it has been archived, its not useful to have that still showing in my underlying mailbox.

2 people like this idea

If it could replciate the action in Onkho that would be great ie Archive in Onkho = Archive in mailbox, Delete in Onkho = Delete in Mailbox

[Further to consultations with Nick Kay at Pavilion Accountancy and Iain Weir at Weir Associates]

We now have a proposed solution to cover the following situations:

1. Email you send from your mailbox directly (e.g. using a mobile app) will be synced to Onkho.
  2. Email you archive or delete in Onkho will be synced to your mailbox.

This solution will not sync email that you delete or archive in your mailbox. That’s because there isn’t a common way that mailbox providers do deleting and archiving. What we’re proposing here will work for all providers. In the future we’ll look to do something specific for the major providers i.e. Microsoft and Google.

To achieve this syncing, we will do the following:

1. You will need to tell us which is your Sent Items folder. We will scan that for email that you've sent (including forwarded email).
  2. We will create a folder in your mailbox named "Onkho Archived". Email that you've archived in Onkho will be moved here.
  3. We will create a folder in your mailbox named "Onkho Add". Any email that we find in here will be synced to Onkho.
  4. We will create a folder in your mailbox named “Onkho Added”. Any email that we add from Onkho Add, will be moved to this folder afterwards.

SituationWhat happens in OnkhoWhat happens in your mailbox

You write and send an email using your mobile app

The email appears in Inbox

Nothing

You reply to an email using your mobile app.

Nothing

You archive an email in Onkho

The email is hidden in the Inbox default view

The email is moved to the Onkho Archived folder

You delete an email in Onkho

The email is no longer visible anywhere

The email is moved to the Onkho Archived folder

You write and send an email using Onkho

The email appears in your Sent Items folder

You move 100 historical emails to the Onkho Add folder

All 100 emails will appear in Inbox

The emails will be moved to the Onkho Added folder

This solution also means:

1. We will never delete email from your mailbox. That will always be your decision. However if you decide to delete (or archive) an email from your mailbox, there will always be a copy in Onkho.
  2. You will be able to configure Onkho to scan the Onkho Add folder only rather than all your email. That way, you have complete control (using mailbox rules etc.) over what makes it into Onkho.

We will start work on this next week in order to allow some time for feedback and questions. This is a very important step in moving Inbox forward so we want to make sure it works for most if not all customers.

Please post your feedback here.

1 person likes this

Well, this has been out for a week and so far the response has been good.

If you need help setting this up, let us know.

For now, I'm closing this thread....and feeling good about it :)

1 person likes this